State of The Minerva Quest’s Finances:
From 2015-2017, the Quest was in debt. Thanks to a couple of fundraising campaigns and our Patreons, we have become financially sustainable. As of now, the Quest has $638.31 USD in its savings. Of that, $107.88 will be used to pay domain and server fees for our website in November. We are putting more effort into fundraising efforts to ensure the Quest produces more and better content each year.
Over the past several months, the Quest Management team has been exploring ways to reward those who give us their time to produce content. One of those potential rewards is small monetary incentives. Looking at past content production rates (about 17 pieces, not including small reports, per year), and current finances, this plan seems feasible. We aim to reward fairly while also incentivizing content quality. We do not claim the structure outlined below is the best and will reevaluate this system at the end of 2019. Please reach out to us to provide commentary or suggestions. For the time being, we have decided to set monetary rewards as follows:
- Tier 1 Content: $10. These are generally articles or other content projects that:
- Require at least 10 hours of work.
- Are 1,000+ words after editing.
- Require multiple interviews or extensive online/in-person research.
- Have a significant and demonstrable impact on the Quest audience.
- Examples include:
- Tier 2 Content: $5. These are generally articles or other content projects that:
- Require about less than 10, and an average of 5, hours of work.
- Are around 300-500 words, or at least under 1000 words, after editing.
- Involve only one live interview, only reaching out for comment via email, and/or limited amounts of online research.
- Most articles will probably fall into this category.
- Examples include:
How to Receive Reward:
Please fill out this form (https://forms.gle/fqW8sgBhaooL7f8KA) to apply for a financial reward. Rewards are only eligible for collection only if applications are filled out in the same month as when respective content is published on the Minerva Quest’s website. We are currently planning to review the forms and send out rewards on a monthly basis, though may change it so that we reward people every semester instead. Fill out the form, and we will reach out. Note that The Quest reserves the discretion to accept or reject and downgrade or upgrade rewards. The purpose of the form is to expedite the process and give content creators a voice in the process.
As of October 23, 2019: submit the form before midnight PST on the last day of the month. Quest will review the forms within a week of that deadline and send out payments within a week of the review date, a maximum of two weeks from the deadline.
These definitions and the overall process are subject to change as we continue to refine our reward system. Remember, the aim of this initiative is to reward the hard work of our content producers, and to incentivize higher quality at larger quantities. If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.